Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Once Upon Another Time..


So recently I have been in a Broadway mood. I love belting out Broadway tunes in the car...which explains why the people driving past me are always staring. I usually am red-faced, mouth wide open, attempting Christine's aria from Think of Me. It is quite inspiring, I'm sure..

I, for the first time, watched Love Never Dies, the Broadway sequel to Phantom of the Opera. I gotta say, I was extremely unimpressed...at first. But the more I watch and listen to it...I am digging it. Majorly.

The songs, when sung in sequence, seem quaint at best. But sung individually...wow. My favorite right now is the lament, Beneath a Moonless Sky.

However, the song that got me thinking today is the duet Once Upon Another Time. It is basically the Phantom and Christine singing of their past love.
The chorus says:
We love. We live. We give what we can give. And take what little we deserve.

Wow. It was a light bulb moment for me. My life on this earth is to simply love others as Christ did. To give of myself as He did. Instead of worrying about myself and what little I deserve, it is about giving of myself so completely and being poured out for Him.

This is something I've known and said for years, yet the full meaning hit me like a ton of bricks today.

I never realized how much I think I deserve. So much so, that in my relationship with God, my fiancé, and my family, I subconsciously believe somehow that I deserve their love, attention, and care.

Yet, I deserve so very little. Christ loved me and gave Himself for me when I did nothing to deserve it. I have done nothing to deserve anything.

And that's the beauty of His love.

Who knew Broadway was so deep?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a sequel.... Much less that it was so deep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Honestly, I wasn't too fond of the plot, but it was interesting. Be forewarned tho...there were LOTS of clowns...it was horrific. It looked EXACTLY like my nightmares. lol. Phantoms I can handle--not clowns.

    ReplyDelete